Looking your best is important. Proper choice of clothing can add to your appearance but there is no substitute for having healthy skin. Make-up may enhance your features but the right skin care regimen will help your inner beauty shine through naturally.
The way that you take care of your skin will depend on several factors – including the type of skin that you have. However, there are some things that everyone can do that are sure to improve the quality of your skin. Here are 5 essential steps for a healthy skin care regimen:
1. Wash your face every day. A facial cleanser formulated to your skin type will contribute to the goal of having healthy skin. At times, washing your face may not be enough so it is a good idea to follow up with a toner to remove any additional dirt or oil residue.
2. Moisturize according to your skin type. If you have oily skin, adding an additional moisturizer may do your skin more harm than good. However, if your skin type requires a moisturizer, the best time to apply it to your skin is while it is still moist after washing.
3. Use sunscreen. While the sun provides you with vitamin D, too much sun exposure will have a negative effect on your skin. A sunscreen labeled as broad-spectrum will effortlessly provide your skin with full coverage. Be sure to use it every day (even on cloudy days) and reapply often if you are sweating more than usual. Aim for a sunscreen that has no less than SPF 15.
4. Stay Hydrated. Drinking enough water will help you stay beautiful from the inside-out by providing your skin cells with enough moisture to say hydrated and supple.
5. Exfoliate weekly. Exfoliation is the process of removing dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. This allows an opportunity for the fresh skin underneath to shine though. Exfoliation can be done with chemical agents or physical particles such as sugar. It is not necessary to exfoliate every day – once a week is enough.
A healthy skincare routine is a combination of using the right products and practicing the right habits. Doing so will not only benefit your appearance, it will also contribute to your overall well-being. Try different practices to see what works best for you. Stay consistent with your regimen and you will enjoy healthy skin for a long time to come.